The student loans help to finance the education of the students and the PhD students. They are guaranteed by the state, with low interest, no taxes and with a grace period up to one year since the first date of the last state exam session. The students are allowed to receive bank loans under special conditions according to the Bulgarian Student Loans Act.
Who can get a student loan?
According to the law, students eligible to apply for a credit are: Bulgarian citizens, citizens of other EU countries and countries of the European Economic Area (Iceland, Norway, Conferedation of Switzerland and Lichtenstein), who simultaneously meet the following requirements:
- are not older than 35;
- are regular bachelor, master or doctoral students at a legal state or private university;
- are not in possession of the same degree;
- are not exmatriculated.
Which banks provide student loans?
Only specific banks which have a signed agreement with the Ministry of Education and Science. So far 4 banks are able to provide this service – Allianz Bank Bulgaria, DSK Bank, Raiffeisen Bank, Eurobank Bulgaria.
What are the types of loans?
- Loans for paying the tuition fees;
- Loans for covering the living costs.
What are the interest rates?
- According to the law the maximum annual interest rate for this credit can be 7 %.
- All the services, associated with the credit contract, are free of charge for the borrower.
- You do not need a guarantor to apply for a loan.
- The bank, which approves the loan request, transfers the needed amount for covering your tuition fee directly into the bank account of the university.
For additional information:
- For applicants for admission – at BFU, office 19, tel: 00359 56 900 419; 0359 56 900 449, email@example.com
- For students - at the Academic Affairs and Admissions Office of BFU.