Burgas Free University is proud to be celebrating its 30th anniversary
BFU is officially celebrating its 30th anniversary on September 17th, 2021. On September 18th, 1991 with a decision of the Grand National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria, Burgas Free University was granted the status of a higher education institution - one of the first three private universities in the country.
Burgas Free University is hosting a round table ‘The new decades following the century of the free universities‘ at 14.30 h on September 17th, 2021 to mark this important milestone. It will bring together rectors and founders of the first private universities in Bulgaria as well as representatives from the Free University of Brussels – the first university in the world, established under that name.
The round table will cover the following topics:
- Establishing the Free University in Bulgaria – 101 years later;
- History and factors for establishing the free universities in Europe;
- Higher education as a public good and the service provision;
- Higher education - open to the labour market and compensating for the trade deficits;
- Scientific research funding – the competition among scientists, teams, project ideas and financing of selected structures and education institutions;
- Internationalisation of higher education;
- Follow-up lines and messages from the free universities.
Another round table - ‘Burgas Blue Sustainability in Cruising and Yachting’ is to take place at 10.00 h as part of the program of events and activities for the day. It is organised under the EU-funded project “Sustainable small-scale cruising/yachting” of the International Centre for Black Sea Studies (ICBSS), Athens, Greece.
The governing body of the university will hold a press conference at 14.00 h in Lecture Hall 207 on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of Burgas Free Universty.