Incoming students


Application documents:


Deadline for application:

  • 15 August - for the 1st semester (winter semester) of each academic year
  • 15 December - for the 2nd semester (summer semester) of each academic year


Documents should be sent by post to:
Burgas Free University
International Relations Office
62, San Stefano Street
8001 Burgas



  • A foreigner may enter the Republic of Bulgaria with a regular foreign travel document or another equivalent document, as well as with a visa, if required.
  • Citizens of the European Union member states, EEC (Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein) and Switzerland do not need to obtain a visa for studies, independently of the duration of their stay.
  • Students from other countries may need to obtain a visa before leaving their country. For information about the visa procedure, please contact the Bulgarian Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
  • Holders of valid Schengen visas have the right to enter and reside in the Republic of Bulgaria for a period of no more than three months in any six-month period from the date of the first entry, without need to have a Bulgarian short-stay visa.
  • In any case, all Erasmus students are advised to contact the Bulgarian Embassy and/or Consular Sections in their home country to find out detailed information on the specific requirements and procedures for staying in Bulgaria. 
  • For further information:


Health Insurance

  • Citizens of the EU member states or of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, planning to stay temporarily (usually up to 90 days) in Bulgaria, should obtain the European Health Insurance Card to be issued in their home country. It gives access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare, under the same conditions and at the same cost as Bulgarian people who are insured. It guarantees reimbursement of the medical costs on the spot, or soon after return home. For more information, please visit: 
  • Citizens of any other countries should check with their national authorities if they are entitled to free or subsidized health treatment in Bulgaria as part of a reciprocal health agreement between their home country and Bulgaria. If there is no such an agreement, then they should obtain health insurance documents in their home country for the period of their stay in Bulgaria.



  • Upon arrival in Burgas, all incoming Erasmus students should first register for their studies at the International Relations Office of BFU. 
  • EU citizens staying for a period longer than 3 months are obliged within 5 days after their entry in the country to declare in writing the address of their residence at the Regional Migration Unit within the Ministry of Interior in Burgas.
  • After this registration the students will obtain an official permission to stay in the country for the duration of their studies. This permission is granted upon submission of a study certificate issued by Burgas Free University to certify that they have been registered as Erasmus students at the university. 
  • Students who are not EU citizens and arrive to Bulgaria with a valid long-term visa type D, must also register at the Regional Migration Unit and obtain a residence permit from the Migration Directorate.



Prior to departure the International Relations Office will issue:

  • Transcripts of Records;
  • Certificate of Attendance.